Sun Ho “Sunny” Kim, DMD
I’m Dr. Sunny Kim. I grew up in Seoul, South Korea and attended college at Korea University. I did graduate studies at Texas A&M University and worked at the University of Washington School of Medicine and Massachusetts General Hospital as a researcher for a number of years studying bacterial antibiotic resistance and biofilms. I also served in the Korean military as a military diplomate between the U.S. and Korean armies. I then attended the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine where I obtained my DMD with honors in 2018. I gained interest in endodontics during my dental school training and served as the University of Pennsylvania Endodontics Club president and taught in preclinical courses. Upon obtaining my dental degree, I trained at Tufts University for 2 years in the endodontics residency program, where I also served as an instructor for the preclinical endodontics courses and clinic. I currently reside in Chestnut Hill with my wife and two children. We enjoy travelling and exploring different places, cultures, and cuisines.
Having a background as a scientist, I love how as an endodontist I am able to apply strong evidence-based science to the treatment and outcomes of my patients. My goal as a provider is to ensure my patients the most caring and painless experience I am able to provide with the best possible outcome, and to treat them as if I am treating family.
Predoctoral Education: 2005 BEng, Honors for Academic Achievement, Korea University
Graduate Education: 2008 MS, Texas A&M University
Dental Education: 2018 DMD, Honors in Medically Complex Cases, Honors in Community Oral Health, University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
Postdoctoral Training: 2020 Certificate in Endodontics, Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
Board Status: Board eligible, American Board of Endodontics
Awards and Honors:
- Honors in Medically Complex Cases, University of Pennsylvania
- Honors in Community Oral Health, University of Pennsylvania
- Brian D. Stone Memorial Award for Exceptional Care, University of Pennsylvania
- GAPSA Professional Student Travel Grant, University of Pennsylvania
- Korean Honor Scholarship, Embassy of the Republic of Korea, Washington, D.C.
- Biomedical Engineering Graduate Scholarship, Texas A&M University
- Alpha Eta Mu Beta, National Biomedical Engineering Honor Society
- International Education Fee Scholarship, Texas A&M University
- Honors for Outstanding Academic Achievement, Korea University
- Army Commendation Medal, U.S. Army
- Army Achievement Medal, U.S. Army